Friday, January 18, 2013

Ohio Christmas

Before we made our trek down South, we had our Christmas with the kids the weekend before we left (so that was the 2nd weekend in Dec! haha). We didn't do much because the kids already have more toys than they know what to do with, but we did do about 3 gifts for each, two small individuals and a big shared toy. They both got new hats since we wore our others out, Jenna got a sticker book, Caden got a set of balls and their big gift was this roller coaster. I must say: it. is. AWESOME. We have enjoyed watching them enjoy it SO much. They still run in there and ride it every day - a total win in the gift dept! They have found all sorts of uses for the coaster, they crawl down it, run down it, ride down it, and sit on it during movie time. Multi-functional!

 
 
 

And then, can I get a "amen" on Trader Joe's Sea Salted Carmels? I eagerly wait all year for these and I'm only slightly ashamed that in a months' time, I had all or part of 3 boxes. NO self control over these things - it is mercy that they are only available once a year.



We tried to start some fun traditions this year now that kids are old enough to enjoy them. We made Rice Krispie treats which I had grand intentions of making cute shapes and decorating them - well the kids were grabbing gobs out of the bowl before I could get them in the pan to cool. I still don't know how they didn't throw up all night - they ate SO MUCH.

 
 
 
 
If I'm being honest, it was a wonderful yet difficult time all in one. I wanted to put all of our Christmas stuff up, do fun activities for the kids, Christmas crafts, new Christmas baking, basically everything that is Pinterest, but it was not the time for all of this. Despite Ryan calling me the Christmas Grinch jokingly, I saw no point in dragging out our Christmas stuff just for 2 weeks, and it is all but impossible to get out of the house when the high is in the low 30's, it might snow, it might not, the kids need 4 layers of clothes to go out and oh, yea....I have a newborn! So the baking and crafts didn't happen either. It bothered me alot at first - I hated feeling like everything is temporary up here - not buying anything just to move back to NC at some point, not putting any decorations out, etc. etc... But I did learn the valuable lessons that a) Pinterest is great as long as you don't use it to measure up your success as a "memory making mom" b) FAMILY makes Christmas time feel all warm and snuggly and c) no matter the stage of your life, Christmas is still the time to celebrate what our amazing Savior did when He came to earth and what that now means for all of us. So, like I said,  December was wonderful, yet difficult at times....but here are some other memories from our Christmas in Ohio!
 

We really talked up the cute Christmas shows :Rudolf, Frosty the Snowman etc...We got special snacks, turned on the fireplace and Daddy got on the floor to watch it with them. Mommy was nursing (and sleeping) with Easton on the couch.
Look at that cute Santa butt!
Yes, son you are a gift!
To her credit, we did say they were stockings!
This is the Charlie Brown tree my Dad and Sister convinced me to put up for the twins. And, I'll admit, I'm glad we did - the twins LOVED it! It has all of my childhood ornaments and the few they have collected in their 3 Christmases.
And last, I wanted a picture for the Christmas Card this year so I could work on addressing in the 8+ van ride down to NC. Well, NO addressing took place in the car ride, but the Christmas picture did happen, with lots of help from Nana, Papa and Yogurt Covered Raisins.

The winner
Caden wouldn't sit beside Easton, and Jenna became very intrigued.
Jenna's face cracks me up...and Ryan's foot at the bottom of the picture...
Easton was worn slap out from all of the glamor shots!

No comments:

Post a Comment