Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Cold + Snow

I got the calendar out the other day to look...yep, it has almost been a YEAR since we moved back to North Carolina! I had to check because it has been so cold here and reminded me so much of Ohio, I had to make sure the move home actually happened. We had our first "snow event" back in January. It was just a dusting, but the temperatures were so cold we were actually more intrigued by the koi pond freezing! The koi did survive by the way! We saw them come out on a warm day we had recently! I don't know where they went - especially since the pond did end up freezing all the way across the top after the waterfall froze and stopped the water movement. But they are alive and well - who knew!? 



Our second snow was a true snow storm. And of course it blew in while Ryan was driving to TN for work. The twins have hit the stage where snow is exciting and wonderful and magical. They instantly wanted to go outside and play in it. I quickly had a glimpse into the Lord's mercy to me while in Ohio. People - it snowed every week we were up there from January to when we came home in March. Thankfully, the twins were too young to care. I would have been a frozen, mean ice queen had they enjoyed the snow and asked to go play in it up there as much as they do now. Yikes.

Anyway, I anticipated some long, cooped up days so I got my Mom over here so she would be snowed in with us. :) Gigi is a true Southerner - no driving in potential black ice situations for her so I knew I would have her a few days. Score! I think the pond is going to be our seasonal marker for pictures over the years. It was too pretty not to snap.


Thank goodness Gigi was here to help me bundle up the kiddo's - Easton came out for his obligatory snow picture, then went back in for nap. Oh how I wish Ryan would have been home so he could play with the twins in the snow. But he wasn't, so Mama had to step up and in.

Easton as a snow baby was adorable. Buddy couldn't move a muscle.
 
 

 
 I was amazed at how much the twins loved the snow. LOVED it. Jenna was a superstar...went down the  big hills by herself every possible way. Head first, feet first, lying down front, lying down blind, with me, with just Caden, with the neighborhood kids... you name it. She loved it. Caden loved it as long as he was with me. That is, until I pushed him down by himself a few times despite his objection...then he warmed up to the idea :) They didn't complain about being cold one time! Finally, I am the one who had enough and enticed them to come inside for their first ever hot chocolate tasting. It was a huge hit of course :)
 
I had a few parenting moments when I pushed the twins (or Jenna) down the hill without thinking only to quickly think in my head "that might not have been a good idea." !!! We (maybe me more so than Ryan just because I'm with them more of the time) push the kids to do things and try things to get past their dislike or fear. With Caden, the danger was "scarring" him to be further afraid of sledding if I pushed him too hard one time. With Jenna, the danger was her getting hurt since she isn't afraid of much, I encouraged her curiosity. Thankfully, she missed all of the mailboxes and ditches with trees. :) Either way, I got a glimpse into what my natural parenting style is and how I need to pray through and be mindful of potential consequence. :)
 


The third big snow came when Ryan was home. yea!!!! Of course the twins couldn't wait to go out with Daddy this time. I took my place inside with Easton the first day and enjoyed my hot coffee inside. :) Day 2, I bundled Easton up and anticipated a quick return home but of course we are talking about Easton - he LOVED it. Didn't utter a peep the entire morning!






Jenna found out she could eat snow and did so - all morning.
It was definitely fun to get some good snow down here in NC for the kids. And it was enjoyable to get it while we are not affected by make up school days. All that said, it has made me all the more ready for  Spring + Summer + Beach !!!!

1 comment:

  1. My neighbor with koi in his pond said don't feed them the first week after the thaw, that they stop growing or something while the pond is frozen over. Then he offered assistance and more advice if you wanted to call him personally. Ha! Love this neighborhood!

    ReplyDelete