ahhh 18 months...its quite a challenging new phase we are in....but absolutely one of the best so far too. I know I have said this a million times...but they are their own person! They are so different - different likes, dislikes, personalities, habits, patterns...but they blend together perfectly. I am so thankful to God for blessing me to see my kids -side by side- develop into the person God created them to be. Its so fun to see how very different girls and boys can be! And I still say it is both a blessing and a curse to have the other one to "compare" to. I don't say that to mean I constantly compare who does what better, I just mean it has been a blessing to be able to see when one of them is falling behind (Caden not crawling/walking/pulling up) so we could intervene in a timely manner and sometimes a bit of a curse when one is pulling ahead in an area (Jenna pointing to objects in books a few weeks before Caden started too). Its just a constant reminder that they see, hear and learn differently and it is exciting to think about how they will keep us on our toes through the years!
Jenna continues to be my dominant personality, fiercely independent and picks up on new things very quickly and easily. Due to her obsession with books the past few months, she can point out a huge variety of objects in a book. It is probably around 30 - 40 objects, animals, and things she can point to when you ask her to. As far as words go, she clearly says and means: dada, juice, fish, snake, tree, all done, airplane, ball, throw, uh-oh, bye bye and we think we have heard a "nana" a couple of times, but can't get her to say it on demand. She can point out the letters "O" and "S" and tell you what sound they make thanks to Aunt Caitlin and Uncle Jason for buying us our letter foam mat. And yes, notice what word is not up there...she refuses to say "mama". She will look at me and point to me when asked, but say it? forget it. sigh.
She is extremely clumsy when it comes to walking around peoples feet. Whether your sitting on the couch or floor, she doesn't seem to comprehend depth perception and clearing your feet. She is a tough cookie though....never really crying when she falls down. Simply says "uh-oh" and pops right back up. She loves new places and people....walking right in to the nursery or museum or playplace. She has a hilarious horse gallop when she is "running." Don't ask her to do anything very athletic with a ball .... for the most part. She is not interested in shooting basketball, kicking or catching the ball. However, she can side-arm a bullet of a throw! Watch out if your around her and she is holding a ball. She is strong as an ox. She can pull up, push up, and jump very advanced for her age. With all of Caden's therapy visits, I have learned and have the developmental guide booklet that Physical Therapist use for determining childrens' developmental age. (so if you have a question about something...haha ask me! I have the guide right here!) Anyway, she is definitely advanced in quite a few physical motor skills.
Caden is my passive personality, very cautious and does NOT like change. Period. He has recently, in the past few weeks picked up on the phenomenon of books - most likely from following Jenna and what she is doing. Because of that, he is now able to point out a few things in the book and repeat sounds. His recognition of items is probably 10 or so consistently. He doesn't like to point to the item, he likes to bang on the book like a drum so you can see why we have trouble narrowing down our focus on the one item :) As far as words go for Caden he consistently says: all done, airplane, uh-oh, bye bye, fish, dada, baba (which is mama!!!!yea!!!), papa, ball, and throw. He can make the sound of the letter "O" and "S" but doesn't go pick it out or point to it. He cries everytime we drop him off at nursery for 5 minutes....every time, then calms down. He follows Jenna's lead in play time about 70% of the time. He is really toughing up when she comes over...he used to wig out that she was in his bubble, but now they play together pretty well!
| The twins are obsessed with our digital photo frame. They walk up to it and watch the pictures scroll through, pointing to different people and talking in their own little language! Adorable! |
Caden is my all American boy when it comes to a ball. He LOVES any ball there is. If there is one in a room, on a bill board,, on a sign in the store...he can laser focus in on it. Ive posted pictures and videos of him with his basketball...he is very talented we think! While he is behind in alot of physical motor skills due to his weak joints, he is very advanced in "object manipulation" i.e., doing different things with a ball: throwing a variety of ways, kicking, rolling, catching etc... When we had him tested in March before our move, he was doing things that should start at 36+ months. Yea Caden! This is definitely his area to excel and shine in. He is getting faster with his running and strength in his legs so I have no doubt in a couple of years time he will be all caught up! He LOVES to wave at people. Every time he sees a car...parked or moving, he waves. He often walks up to people and puts his hand straight up and waves. Precious!
As far as their schedule goes...we have a rock solid one! Its the only way I could have survived with the twins and I am SO thankful we were very tough sticklers to forming their schedules. Our day is typically:
7:30 - 8:00 am wake up
8:00 - 8:30 am change clothes and breakfast
8:30 - 10:00 am play with toys, read books, run errands (not recently since I've felt so bad!)
10:15 - 10:30 am go down for morning nap. (yes my kids still take two naps - VERY thankful!!!)
10:30 - 11:15 am nap ( I have to wake them up after 45 minutes if we want an afternoon nap)
11:15- 12:00 pm watch price is right while mom fixes lunch, eat lunch, clean up :)
12:00 - 2:30 pm play, go outside with water toys, run errand, "help" mom with chores around house
2:30 - 3:30/4:00 pm afternoon nap
4:00 - 5:00 pm snack and wait for Daddy to get home!
5:00 - 7:00 pm dinner then play with Daddy, go for walk around neighborhood, bath if needed, change, read nigh time books, cuddle
7:00 pm - good night!!!!
We had a huge, monumental life happening at 19 months....Jenna bit the top of her paci off. Thankfully, we found it on the floor so we didn't have to worry about her swallowing it. It was amazing to see her immediate disinterest in it...all she wants to do now is hold on to it like a luvy. Caden waited 2 or 3 more weeks before I noticed that his was about to go. We didn't feel comfortable putting him to bed with it so I preemptively cut his off. Same story except he doesn't even want to hold his! Not 1 week later his other paci was in the "danger zone." But I'm so proud to say my big boy has done fine without a paci as far as sleeping goes! We could have used it a couple times in the car and I'm dreading our drive to NC next week without one...but ready or not, no paci time is here. I'm am SURELY not going out and buying another one ! Jenna is very attached to her remaining Wubb so it will be interesting to see how her transition goes when the time comes. I was so sentimental about this! More than I was when I stopped nursing (I was ecstatic!), more than the sippy cup etc... Then Ryan reminded me we are going to have another Wubb phase of life coming up shortly! :)
I'd like to take this opportunity to give my life thanks to Mr Frog #1 and Pink Pony. You both did your jobs perfectly...keeping our babies soothed, asleep and mommy and daddy sane. You are worth your weight in gold, platinum and silver!
Their eating habits are the number one difference in their personalities. Jenna loves food. She eats EVERYTHING you give her all while saying "mmmmm." It makes me gag alot here recently, but she doesn't even finish chewing/swallowing something before eating or drinking the next thing. ewww! Jenna is a mess after every meal...food is everywhere.
| Caden's crazy hair (that gets curly when he's hot or its humid outside and Mommy's exploding belly |
At their 18 month appointment Jenna was 22 lbs (25-50%) and 31.5" (50-75%). I hate how they do the percentage range at this office.....she was in the 30-something % on weight and in the 50's for height. Caden was 20.6 lbs (5-10%...he was closer to 5) and 30.5 inches (2-5%...he was still 2). Jenna shot up in height from her 15 month appointment and they both gained about a pound each. Their 18 month appointment started out fun for everyone in the new doctors' office!
And QUICKLY went downhill....to the point where we were all three in tears driving home. Will not do that again.
We are definitely in the throws of toddlerhood! We spend alot of time squatting down and correcting the kids. We have started time-out on the green mat when one of them has a tantrum. If I'm being honest...Jenna has been there 2-3 times, Caden goes at least once a day (of course the only pictures I have are of Jenna being disciplined). But, its all they need - they settle down, reset and come back ready to play and move on.
We love you Caden and Jenna! What gifts you are to us!
Great update! I enjoyed reading about those cute kiddos :)
ReplyDeleteoh my, why are they changing so fast?? And that photo of J getting "disciplined" is quite cute. It is almost like she knows she has daddy wrapped around her finger. ;)
ReplyDeleteprecisely!
Delete