Monday, May 9, 2011

My 1st Mothers Day!

So I realized I'm enormously behind in blogging a bunch of stuff, but I'll get to that later. I must do what I remember now! :) I had the BEST Mother's Day...it was so exciting yet humbling to celebrate. God has been so good to me and I'm so thankful he answered my prayers (not to mention countless others, many of you! who prayed with us).

Just like anything we try to do...it was an adventure to say the least. Here is the story: Woke up to Caden having a fever. I really almost cried right there..I wanted to go to church so badly! It was Mother's Day, it was the last class we had with the Seniors AND I had an outfit that fit picked out! ha. We gave him Tylenol and decided to just keep him out of the nursery (duh) and I would hold him through service and class. He actually did very well and didn't act like he felt bad. So I chalk it up to extra cuddle time with him on Mother's Day :) We came home and opened presents: a 1st Mothers Day Christmas ornament from Caden and Jenna, a picture frame from C&J and a monogrammed acrylic drinking cup from Ryan...complete with a straw. :) Yes, there is a reason and funny story behind this, not just a random gift. :)



We checked the forecast Sat night where it said, and I quote: "Don't cancel your outdoor Mother's Day plans, little chance we will see any rain." HA! Of course it was cloudy and drizzly when we woke up and even when we got out of church. We decided the rain was mostly gone so we packed up everything to go enjoy a picnic at Lake Lynn. Timeout here: it is NOT easy packing up a stroller, two bumbo's, numerous blankets, toys, bibs, diaper bag, our lunch and yes, the twins, BUT, it's what I wanted to do, so that's what we did! We picked up Panera and headed out! After spending 5 minutes trying to find a patch of grass that didn't have geese poo in it, we settled down. The twins fell asleep in their seats, so we thought we would have a nice lunch just the two of us. NOPE! Over my shoulder, I see two big geese making their way over to us. We tried speaking in geese to them, yelling, shewing, nothing worked. They were fearless. As they got close, they began to hiss at us. Yes, hiss at us! After protecting my food, composing myself from laughing, and snapping a picture, I chased them away with the stroller. ha...take that.

THEN...it started to sprinkle. I was not having any fun and certainly not relaxing at this point so we packed up and ate in the back of the pilot. The Little's + picnics = disaster. (if you haven't heard the story of how Ryan proposed, then this doesn't make much sense to you...you will have to hear that one to fully appreciate our inability to have a picnic!)

After this, Ryan gave me the green light to do anything I wanted! I really couldn't think of anything..my identity outside of "mom" is temporarily missing! ugh. So I decided I really wanted an uninterrupted nap. So, I put earplugs in, AND covered my head with a pillow and had a great nap :) Then we packed up and went to Sonic for Happy Hour...Cherry Limeade please! We were so close to Lake Johnson, we headed over and went for a beautiful (but very STEEP) 3 mile walk around the lake. We came home and played with the kids, worked on sitting up (nope, still not close), gave them a good bath and put them down.




Ryan and I made cookies and got our favorite ice cream and settled down to watch the Amazing Race Finale. Love that show! As we were going to bed, I thought I heard a little chirp in the nursery so Ryan went in to check on the twins. I heard him through the wall in disgust "ohhhhh Jenna!" Jenna had thrown up all over herself (just bathed,remember!?), in her footed pajamas (how do you do that?), and the crib. It was a total start over: sheets, diaper, wipe-bath, pajamas. In between all of this, she would gag and throw up again and then look up at us with those big, beautiful eyes wondering what was happening? I was in tears, it literally broke my heart and took my breath. After about 20 minutes, we thought we were in the clear and put her back down. I turned around to check on Caden (nope, hadn't done that yet!) and he is covered in vomit! Unbelievable! So we start the process with him while Jenna keeps dry heaving in her crib. We finally get them both cleaned and just pick them up and hold them for a while until they fell asleep and we felt the worst was over. Pitiful! The worst part of this story is the suspected reason for our midnight vomit-fest: a bad banana. I smashed up a banana at dinner to give them with their cereal. I even doubted that it was ripe enough and asked Ryan what he thought. I think it was the banana b/c they threw up just about the same time and it lasted the same amount of time. They never ran a fever either. ugh. Lesson learned? If you doubt it, dont feed it to your child! haha

Anyway, it was an adventurous day nonetheless. I would take this Mother's Day complete with surprises, geese poo, unexpected rain, and vomit any day over the past two. However, at the same time, I'm thankful for the past two years and the feelings I experienced on Mother's Day...it has opened my eyes to just how blessed I am, how big our God is, how good He is and how much I looooove Caden and Jenna.

I hope you all had a wonderful Mother's Day and THANK YOU for the sweet, caring cards in the mail and messages I got all day.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, Casey, what an adventure of a day! You must try our park, Joyner, here in Wake Forest for a picnic sometime. Hey, maybe even we'll try to do it together :) Wouldn't that be a hoot?!?

    Happy Mother's Day friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You Littles know how to celebrate! 1) Those geese were awfully close to Ryan's leg and it almost looks like he is trying to give a peace offering by giving them his sandwich. 2) I hate that C & J got so sick but I am glad they seemed to be doing better yesterday. We were praying for them. Happy Mother's Day again KC! You will never forget it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a crazy day (and night)! So glad you guys made it out ok!

    ReplyDelete