Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Caden and Jenna's Birth Story...part 1

Yea! I'm finally sitting down to write down one of the most amazing days of my life. I've been wanting to sit down and get it all out of my head before I forget, but the twins have had different plans for me so far :)

Many thanks to our record keeper, Ryan Little...he kept a notepad and wrote down what was happening as they happened b/c we knew we would both forget. Its a good thing he did...as you will see, things happened fast!

The twins were born on Monday, October 18th, but I think their birth story starts the Wednesday before:

Wednesday, October 13th...I go to the Doctor and find that I am still 1 cm dilated...the medication and the strict bedrest have worked - thank the Lord! We got to our original goal of 36 weeks. The babies looked great on the U/S and all of my labs were perfect. So....I was told I could stop taking the medication and get off bedrest! I made sure I understood clearly by telling my Doctor that I intended to "walk these babies out" and not sit down until it was time to go to bed at night. Yep, all ok, so off I went. However, not before I shared with Dr. J that I really really desired to have a natural birth. I did NOT want a C-Section as long as the babies were ok and healthy. She danced around the conversation a bit and made it clear that she thought the best option would be a C-Section since Caden was still breech.She also told me that if it came to me being induced...she would probably schedule me with another Doctor in the practice who was more comfortable delivering twins. Ok, that's fine with me, I thought. Then she proceeds to tell me she is on call all weekend. oh no! I was in a panic. I didn't want to have the babies when she was on call b/c I knew what she would be inclined to do! I worried about it so much I got a cold sore...dang it! Hate those things. Anyway, me and my project event planner came out so the game plan was for me to have the babies before Friday at 5pm when Dr J went on call. (How is the Lord so patient!? Don't you think I would have learned in the 2 years prior that everything is going to happen when God allows it to happen for HIS good!?)

Anyway, so began my mission: Operation Have-the-Twins. Wednesday and Thursday, I walked and walked...I finally walked around the neighborhood with Ryan...well actually only to the stop sign. I was sooo out of breath from not doing anything since August!

By Friday nothing had happened so what's a girl to do? How about go to the NC State Fair and walk around and eat fried foods!? Check. I enjoyed about 2 hours of walking with my girlfriends and ate Corn on the Cob, fried honeybun, lemonade, and Cheesecake on a stick. YUM. Surely this will get things going....



Saturday comes around...nothing has happened. So I do some yard work with Ryan...quite awkwardly, but I do what I can do. Saturday night, we go to Ryan's Grandparents House for dinner where everyone can't believe I'm still pregnant. We are seriously about out of room babies! Ryan's mom tells me that the time is close b/c my face is puffy.

Sunday morning...for the first time in months I go to Church b/c I'm off bedrest! It was so fantastic to see everyone and be in Church to worship with others instead of by myself on the couch. By now, I feel good about going into labor...surely Dr J's "on call" schedule will end Monday morning and another doctor will be on call who will entertain the idea of letting me deliver the twins naturally. Sunday afternoon I did alot of stuff around the house and worked on the twins' baby books for hours. (maybe I subconsciously knew I wouldn't be looking at those things for weeks! haha). Me and Ryan go to bed wondering what day of the week the twins will come! Surely it can't be too much longer!?

Stay tuned for the rest of the story...Caden is crying :)

3 comments:

  1. Love the picture of you eating corn!!! Can't wait to hear Part 2!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cliff-hanger! :)

    It was so fun to hang out with y'all on Saturday for a bit. I just love your precious bundles of joy!

    ~Jenelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. hilarious! I sure wished I could have joined ya'll that Friday. I am sure it was a sight to see :)

    ReplyDelete