The first weekend in November, Ryan and I went on our "congratulations-for-surviving-the-first-year-of-twins" celebration trip! It was soooooooo needed! We played around with ideas on places to go, but ultimately didn't feel like we were at a point to ask anyone to watch the twins for more than a weekend...they are a handful :) So we decided on driving distance and since it fell in the beautiful leaf-changing fall, to the mountains we went! Ryan found us a great cabin right outside of Asheville that doubled as a spa! The owner is a certified, massage therapist, yoga instructor, sauna something etc, etc! So they built the cabin to have a place to offer all of these services. Perfect for two tired, busy, scheduled parents!
Ryan's parents eagerly took care of the twins all weekend and allowed us to get away and relax! We went stopped in Chimney Rock first and did some hiking on Friday.
Then we checked in at our cabin...cute as can be and look at the view!
Then we went to an amazing Italian restaurant...given the choice, I will Always choose CARBS! Hello yummy bread, olive oil, and pasta!! Also, let it be known that I found my first canoli that I did NOT care for. Yes, a weekend of relaxation was needed if I'm turning down canoli's! :)
Saturday we jumped up and went to Biltmore. Neither of us had ever been and since they were decorated for Christmas, we decided to mark that off the list! That place is crazy! Very interesting to learn about the history there and it was a beautiful day to walk the gardens!
That afternoon, we headed back to the cabin and I.TOOK.A.NAP! True vacation right there! It was heavenly....drool on the pillow kind of nap. ahhhh Then we took on an adventure. The "basement" of our cabin was a sauna. The owner had a "cycle" that she told us we should do to really get the benefits of the sauna. She said if we completed this program that she took from the Sweeds or Norwegians or somebody like that, it would detox our body of all of the stimulates, sugar, caffeine etc... We just wanted a relaxing time, but thought we could handle it. We stayed for about an hour after deciding we were pansies in the hot sauna room. haha Later that night we went to dinner at the most amazing restaurant ever! If your in Asheville or NC for that matter, make your way there! It is called Nine Mile. delic. Anyway, we could hardly keep our eyes open at dinner! It was like our first night out after the twins were born when we could hardly speak we were so tired. haha Guess that sauna did suck out all of the sugar and caffeine! We ordered coffee and chocolate at the Chocolate Bar downtown though and put it right back in :) yummmm! Liquid Truffles anyone?
Sunday, we had massages and packed up to come home. We stopped by the outlets to do some kid-free shopping and headed home to see our babies! What a wonderful weekend to enjoy being the 2 of us again!
What a great weekend trip just the two of you!!!! Sounds wonderful!
ReplyDeleteI'm so happy you guys got to get away for a weekend. Every parent needs that break at least once a year! We visited Biltmore for Christmas last year and it was absolutely breath-taking. We had the kids with us and weren't able to stay long, but given the chance, I'd go back there in a heartbeat. If you haven't read the history, go check yourself out a book at the library. I did this AFTER we got back, and it was fascinating. I wish I'd known all this before we went!
ReplyDelete