Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Table for Four

Oh boy! We now have two solid-food eating infants and let me tell you...it is HARD. Much more difficult than I thought having two babies who can't do anything for themselves and having two mouths to get the spoons to! The first week of Jenna joining the table was tough. It took me an hour and fifteen minutes to feed them both the first day...all three meals! I was having to use two separate bowls of cereal because Jenna needed hers much thinner than Caden. Then, Caden was on to his solid food, but not Jenna (I did cereal-only with her for a week first). Whew! I only had to do that for a few days solo. We headed to the beach last week so I had plenty of help there to get me through the introduction week with Jenna. Things are much better now, I make one bowl of cereal and one bowl of "solid food" and feed them both from it. It usually goes something like: spoon full to Jenna, spoon full to Caden, spoon full to mama of her food. It is an absolute production! :)

Jenna must have picked up how to eat from a spoon by watching Caden these past 2 months. She picked up on it in one day and takes it like a pro! Our first food to try has been Bananas...we had a ton of ripe bananas that we needed to use so that ended up being our first food to try this week! Caden LOVES it, I can't get the spoon in his mouth fast enough. Jenna was NOT a fan at first. Today she actually took more so hopefully persistence will pay off and she will begin to enjoy it. Sorry kids, part of being a twin is sharing and taking what is provided! I'm not going to start preparing two separate foods b/c of pickiness :) I think she is coming around just fine...it was just a new texture for that crazy tongue of hers to play with.

Caden with Bananas: in pure bliss




Jenna with Bananas: what is this!? ick!







And here is a little glimpse into dinner time madness:









Dinner Time Madness from Casey Little on Vimeo.

6 comments:

  1. Casey good for you! great job! I can't imagine feeding twins their first foods!

    You may not want any tips but here are two :)

    1. i STILL don't eat at the same time my kids do. it IS a huge production. maybe when they're 11 and 12....?

    2. jenna may not like bananas because it is SO sweet. if she's only used to bland cereal/breastmilk it may just be a huge shock to her tastebuds. she may prefer a veggie like peas or green beans that are still very bland. just a thought- i'm sure caden will eat just about anything, he's a boy ;)

    ps- it's emily bennett :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh the joy of mealtimes! It is pure craziness, isn't it?!? Feeding twins is always a challenge. I always fed ours before/after we ate (and would "double-time" it... One bite for one, one bite for the other, one bite for one, one bite for the other. They were swallowing as fast as I could shovel!). Now, that they are eating all "table-finger-foods" it is much easier to all eat together!!!! Yay for solid foods though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow hilarious video. love the spider stunt. y'all are great parents!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Boys will be boys. C is already making a mess. And as soon as I saw Ryan's initial reaction I knew there was a spider somewhere within the vicinity. Thanks for sharing us a glimpse of your family dinners.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you on not giving up with the bananas. When we started Leiana on solids, I read in a few places that it can take up to some crazy number like 12 times for a baby to realize he/she actually likes something you've been trying to feed them! So, just because they don't like something the first... oh, 11 times you try feeding it to them, it may just be their favorite food that 12th time! ;)

    Don't know if that's encouraging or depressing... still trying to figure that out for myself! ha ha

    ~Jenelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that video made me laugh out loud with the "guest spider" that came for dinner! I also love seeing Ryan feed Caden, even though that's not his favorite thing to do... that's called parenting! Loved the video... love all the posts. Keep 'em coming! I love those babies/cousins!

    ReplyDelete