Thursday, September 13, 2012

How is it time for a big girl bed?

Can someone answer the question???? The time I have dreaded came up on us recently. I have handled all of the other situations that came with multiples just fine, but for some reason I was freaking out over moving the kids to toddler beds! We have been so blessed to see the rewards of hard sleep training in the first few weeks - with two babies, we were expecting alot less sleep! So when I began to think about moving them to toddler beds, I had visions of it all going down the drain: late night jumping parties, Jenna crawling out to go play with brother, Caden going into the closet to get his beloved Choo-Choo shoes, clothes thrown all around the room, and cranky, tired babies the next day from partying all night. In addition to this, the twins are great about sitting in their cribs for a while after they wake up in the mornings, they stand up and talk to each other, laugh, play, jump around etc... Now, in a toddler bed, can't they just get up whenever they want!? ahhhh

We briefly considered just buying another crib for Easton so the twins could stay in their cribs as long as they needed to - neither of my kids ever tried to climb out so they could have stayed in them MUCH longer. However, the only families that need 3 cribs in a house are those with triplets! Good gracious! Plus, we had my cousins' toddler bed so we technically had all of the bedding surfaces needed if we just switched one twin to a toddler bed. Since Caden is our resistant-to-change child, Jenna drew the short straw:) We decided to switch her when my mom was up here visiting so I would have an extra set of hands during the day if we were up all night. They just seem so small to be in a toddler bed! It can't be time! They are 22 months old. Anyway, I wont lie....I was eager to put her new little bedding set on her big girl bed...its adorable!

Before we moved her, I had an idea that calmed my fears....I would just get a bed rail, put it up on the toddler bed, then it would still be like a crib, right? It made me feel better anyway so this is what we came up with:

From Toddler Bed....



to Casey's fortress toddler bed....



Here we are getting ready for night-night in the big girl bed!




And my moms famous last words.....she thought Jenna would do great since she wasn't sick or feeling bad. haha. Jenna definitely had a harder time falling asleep that night. We had to go in there twice to calm her down, but she eventually fell asleep and stayed that way most of the night. I think we went in there twice all night. I slept the worst out of anyone in the house worried about her!

The next morning! She looks good to have a yucky, thick cold, doesn't she ? :( yes, the child woke up with a rough, rough cold the exact night we transitioned her. There was no moving the crib back in the room since Ryan had to take the door off to get the crib out (still assembled, mind you:) ).




And Caden wondering what all the fuss has been about! :)


Anyway, after about 4 days of some rough nights (I blame the cold on half of that), we got into a better routine. So good in fact, that Jenna got brave. One day, about an hour into nap time, I still heard someone singing and talking away. I walked in and found Jenna on the changing table right next to Caden's crib. She was sitting on the edge just singing away, kicking her feet like she was sitting in the park! I have no idea how she made the climb, then the jump over to the changing table without the top moving off (its not strapped down) and I have no idea how long she had been there! Caden was out like a trout asleep. This is a re-enactment of course, but look at this crazy girl!


So we rearranged the room to put a tall dresser in between their cribs. The next nap time, Jenna figured out how to stretch and open the drawers and pull out ALL of the clothes. oh my! So, some of the worries of the transition have occurred, but getting out of bed, staying up for hours, getting up at 5 am have not and I pray they stay that way! Good job, big sister! Easton thanks you for a crib to sleep in at night :)

4 comments:

  1. LOVE LOVE the new big girl bed and bedding! Whew Jenna girl... you are into some mischief!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud of Jenna, and she must get her athleticism from her momma scaling that big changing table. And please tell me those are just a brand new pair of shoes hanging out in Caden's crib. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not looking forward to this transition either. I like Gisele being under lock and key :) But Elodie can't sleep in the pack n play forever, I guess... I'm not sure what our plan is but right now its "let's not make a decision until we have to" so that's where we are!

    ReplyDelete